The City of Excelsior will be flushing hydrants Wednesday, September 23rd through Friday, September 25th, weather permitting. Hydrant flushing is done in the Fall to ensure that hydrants are in working order for fire protection, and to remove mineral deposits that may accumulate in the water distribution system.
In order for the Water Department to complete this work in a safe and orderly fashion, we request that you...
- Please use caution when approaching flushing operations.
- Although water might be discolored, it is still safe to drink.
- Please refrain from doing laundry between the hours of 7:00 am to 2:00 pm.
Be sure to check the color of your water prior to doing laundry, since discolored water may stain clothing, particularly whites. If your water is discolored, please:
- Flush a lower level laundry tub or bathtub using cold water only for 10-15 minutes or until the water is clear. Once water is clear, flush other fixtures within the home with cold water.
- If the water is discolored while filling a bathtub or sink with hot water, the water heater may have sediment buildup. Draining the hot water heater will remove sediment buildup in the bottom of the tank.
We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your cooperation.